Lixia

Surrender's Guestbook RSS

• 7 years 3 months ago
    Hi Lily,

How was your Easter? Hope you had a blessed day. He is risen!! we went to Church with Minnie's Mom on Sunday it was a nice service. I was not totally able to follow everything due to the service being in Spanish. After words we went to the park with one of Minnie's Niece's who is pregnant. She is due any day now. We took some pictures of her to show her pergnancy and celebrated the season the child is due in. We have done this before with two of Minnie's neices who were pregnant to give them some nice pictures before the occasion. I have a few of the nicer one posted in portraits. I really like your observations on them. I did use 2 lenses in them and a flash to give the pictures better color and look. For some of the close-up portaites I used my prime lense an 85mm. with the x1.5 it acts like a 140mm prime lense. It took me a while to figure that out. Have a good day, Scott
    • Surrender Premium user China (Private)
      7 years 3 months ago
      Hi, Scott, nice to see you again. We had a joint service with other two Chinese churches here on Good Friday. Other church had a picnic in a park by the lake. It was a beautiful day. On Easter we went to church as usual. I recently got a 50mm prime lens. The first time I used it it didn't auto-focus as it was supposed to. I asked around on the internet and couldn't figure out why. I called Nikon service the technician asked me to sent the camera back to them to fix. It would cost something as it is not in warranty any more. I didn't fully believe that my camera was wrong since it worked well with my zoom lens. So I brought it to a local store. The guy in the sales department touched the camera with the prime lens and it worked. I asked him what he did. He said just wiggling the lens a big. I guess I need to do a bit cleaning on the contact. I need to finish my lesson 4.
  • 7 years 4 months ago
    hi Lily,

I want to thaank you for asking me about the lighting effect in the copy of photoshop I have. I have learned alot on a few pictures already. I appreciate it very much. If you would like to check out my newest edit to on of my pictures. I added it recently. Have agood day Scott
    • Surrender Premium user China (Private)
      7 years 4 months ago
      Scott,
      I don't know if you use Adobe lightroom. It was developed for photographers, rather than Photoshop for all image processing. It is easier to work with digital photos. Though photoshop has more functions, it has some unique features too. I just realized it is a good one.
  • 7 years 4 months ago
    HI Lily,

I do have some lighting effects in the edition of elements 7. That I have it has made some interesting changes to the picture I made of Minnie's niece. When I get the chance to I will make some of the changes to the picture and post them to an album. The ligthing changes the look and feel of the pictures. It does not add highlights to her hair though. I'll let you know when I am finished. The effect adds a lot to a simple portrait. Hope you had a nie weekend. Scott Just a quick add on. I just did a simple change to one of the better pictures from the Christmas Party. It is a simple spot light added to the picture. Thank you for asking me about lighting I have lots of work to do but this really makes for a better picture here.The add is in photoshopped pictures. Thank you Scott
  • 7 years 4 months ago
    Hi Lily

Thank you for stopping by. I do have some work to do on the picture you mentioned. I don't like the brown color I used as the backround. I had lots of distractions to take out of the picture with the Sabrina and the ribbons in her hands. She likes to get her picture taken when I have the camera with me. I have been working on the backround of that picture to make it look better. The other picture with her she has a ballon in her hand. The one that I cropped out her hand and feet there was a table in front of her I could not move out of the way. The group picture was hard the little child did not want to look at the camera and everyone of the children were not in the mood for a group shot with their parents. I did the best I could there. My brother is getting married at the end of the month I'll have some nice practice there. he and his fiancee were looking for Wedding Photographer's and could not find anyone in his area that did not cost over $2,000.00 for the day. He is not too worried they have lots of family and friends to get pictures. He does not want me to be the offical photographer so I will get a small break in that I will not be following him around for the day. I have a few ideas to work out on them. I do have a nice prime lense an 85mm to use in the church ceremony I may get a few good natural light shots there. It is he and his fiancee's second marriage. The fun part of this story is he was very shy in high school and his fiancee and him went to the senior prom together. After graduation they never saw eachother again went to college and each got married and divorced. They reconnected on facebook and fell in Love with eachother. I hope they have a Happy Life together. I'll let you know when i finish working on that one picture. Have a good day, Scott
  • 7 years 5 months ago
    Hi Lilly,

How was your New Year Celebration? Looks lik you had a great time from the pictures you added in the new album. You took some very nice shots of candid moments. I really like the way they look. I'll stop by when I have more ttime to leave you somcomments. Have a good day, Scott
  • Kligon Canada (Private)
    7 years 5 months ago
    Bonjour Lily,always a pleasure to have your visit,i have really enjoyed your Chinese New Year album,lots of hapiness and beautiful people,thanks for sharing! Have agreat week-end....Luc
  • 7 years 6 months ago
    Another day, another visit. My wife has lunch almost ready.

I tend to be more wordy when commenting on other's images than most people and sometimes I'll run across a Fotkin who is so consistently good or has a folder that is, that I make many posts at risk of seeming to drool over the images or perhaps be viewed less than seriously as some kind of flatterer. That said,...

I've seen thousands of fireworks pictures. Fireworks themselves are beautiful and today's glut of extreme imaging from Japanese technology produces stunning captures. The problem comes in that people become so enamored with sharp images that they are satisfied there and do not move on to be more artistic.

In the late 1980s, I shot fireworks for hire. In particular was a mall that put on a July 4th display every year and the mall stayed open until 2am. I was allowed on the roof of the mall with my gear and had the "best seat in the house." A few days later, on delivery of the images, the mall manager would exclaim, "Ten thousand dollars and all I've got are a few images!" (The 10Gs were for the fireworks, not me.) To that, I would tell her, "Yeah, right! You didn't spend that pocket change for nothing with the mall making huge revenues." She'd give me a frown and I'd be grinn'n.

My point: Lily, your fireworks are good enough that you might consider printing no more than 15-25 of the best and try to gain employment from malls, fairs, city displays or even theme parks. Your work is that good and by the time you hone this skill some more, you should be in demand. This is NOT flattery. Nor have I ever suggested to someone they take their camera out for hire. You may still be in the learning mode in other areas, but your fireworks demand attention.

Refrain from showing mediocre shots, like 'em or not. Only the best. That will insure your personal image as being professional.

Having made money shooting fireworks and not having produced work any better or even as good as many of your images, I am serious in suggesting you pursue some pocket change with this particular discipline.

Off to lunch. And thanks for giving me such a pleasurable time looking at fireworks images that are a cut above even those of renowned pros.

Certo
    • Surrender Premium user China (Private)
      7 years 6 months ago
      Certo,
      I am very much encouraged by your words and touched by you sincereity and love. You sound have a lot of stories and I enjoy reading them. The women who teaches her children skills every Christmas is really wise. I should do this when I have my children.
      I looked at my firework album again and read your comments. Thank you for helping me to view them again with analyzing eyes. It was my very first try for fireworks. I had a journal on it at http://pearllifeshare.blogspot.com/2009/08/firework-on-july-4th.html
      I really didn't know what would be in my photo when I pressed the shutter. They just came out by chance. I searched on internet for some advices. I tried different speeds. I wish I can do it better next time.
      I will looked my other albums with your comments and come back to you.
      Thank you! Greeting to your lo lovely wife too. I wish to taste her meal. Yummy.
      • 7 years 5 months ago
        Lily,

That's the problem with fireworks photography. You DON'T know what you're going to get. You don't know what kind of firework display is going up next, how many at one time, which direction it/they'll be or how close/bright they'll be. Today's digi cameras with instant review of images makes shooting a lot easier. Start with f5.6 of the display is reasonably close. That way you can gather enough light to get the job done and your aperture isn't so big as to allow moving targets to exit the focus field (DoF). The larger the aperture the brighter the fireworks. That may or may not be good; you'll have to decide as you go. Smaller apertures and streaks of color that are not so bold and wide can be very attractive.

Here's the two main "tickets." (The same is true with capturing lightening... all the principles are the same.)

1. Keep your shutter open as long as you like if there is no other lights to illuminate the sky. No two lightening bolts are likely to run the same path, nor will fireworks. So while you're gathering mostly no light from a dark sky, the streaks of light only effect whatever portion of the film or censor the lens puts them. So, 3, 4, 5, 6 lightening bolts or fireworks over an extended amount of time most often will make your image more amazing, if I may us such a strong word. If there are building lights about, parking lots, mercury vapor lamps etc., then you must see how that looks on playback to know how to shoot.

2. Shoot an area larger than that exposed by fireworks or lightening. That way you don't risk anything running out of the view or into it. Then crop away the excess in such a way as to make your capture as pleasing as possible. It's not just about the pretty fireworks or fancy lightening; it's about your ability to make art from of it in images.

Use a shutter release that locks. Open the shutter, sit back and wait until you've gathered as many displays of lightening or fireworks as you think will make a good image. Then carefully unlock the shutter and let it close. Lightening and Fireworks are among the easiest types of night photography. The two main assets with so many o f your images are 1. how you have the displays arranged in the frame and whoever put on the display, spent a lot of money and had a beautiful show.

Again, the trick for you is have your aperture set for an appropriate amount of light from each display, collect as many as you want and shoot an area larger than the displays so you can crop to your liking.

These two things are what make your images so good: beautiful subject matter and your ability to have an end product that follows rules of art.
  • 7 years 6 months ago
    Another day, another visit. My wife has lunch almost ready.

I've seen thousands of fireworks pictures. Fireworks themselves are beautiful and todays glut of extreme imaging from Japanese technology produces stunning captures. The problem comes in that people become so enamored with sharp images that they are satisfied there and do not move on to be more artistic.

Certo
  • 7 years 8 months ago
    Hi Lily,

Happy Thanksgiving. It a bit late but we were very busy during the holiday. I like your Thanksgiving Album. Looks like you had a great holiday. I have afew pictures but am behind in getting them online. Thank you for your commnet on my family picture. We went to her Aunts house to see her sick Aunt. The picture you commented on is Minnie's Mom, Her cousin, and Minnie. One of the older ladies who is in a picture is in her 90's and get around very well for her age. I have some fun picture to upload as well. My birthday was earlier this month and my family suprised me with a 50 birthday party. We had a great time. I'll talk to you later, Scott
  • Demigod66 United States (Private)
    7 years 8 months ago
    Thank you for stopping by. Enjoyed your albums and will come back later to see more.
  • 7 years 9 months ago
    Hi Lily,

Wanted to say hi see how you are doing? I'm doing some work on some pictures I took for Halloween. I'm trying to fix up some blemishes and small thing in a picture of two. I''ll let you know when I finish. i like the pictures you took of the liquid in the glass. The details are good. Have a good day, Scott
  • 7 years 9 months ago
    Hi Lily,

The picture you like of Geovanni at the beach is a mistake. We went to the beach and were taking pictures when the lense got all covered with condensation. I did not have anything to wipe it off with at the time. I was going to delete the last 5 or six. I decided to try and fix them in photoshop. I just used the auto fix with colors and contrast. The pictures changed to what you see now. It is a very nice suprise. I did not think it would work or look as nice as it does. Thank you for telling me you like it. The mist adds to the picture it made part of the body soft and added to the picture. The auto fix does not work on all pictures I found out recently. I have a fewe more pictures that were not taken at the beach that had the same porblem. I may will not be able to fix them though. I added a few more pictures to Geovannis album for her. We took some pictures of her and David and Minnie for Halloween. Their costumes were cool. She was a sexy nurse, David was batman and Minnie wor a red dress with a spider cape over it. I was Jimmy Olsen from superman. Just a camera next year I should dress up as an old reporter with the hat and checkerd suit. Just an idea. What did you do for halloween? Thank you I'll catch you later, Scott
powered by Fotki